A grant of $75,000 over three years to support the operations of the Academy of Craft Training, a public/private partnership between the construction industry and the State of Alabama’s K-12 education system, through salaries for five instructors and a Training and Employment Coordinator. These instructors work to ensure students are connected with an internship and upon graduation employment in the commercial construction industry. In three years, this program has progressed from 23 to 116 graduating seniors, with 90% of students moving on to the commercial construction industry workforce and the remaining 10% continuing on to either college or the military. For more information, visit academyofcrafttraining.org
In response to COVID-19, we are taking action to ensure that needs are met across the greater Birmingham community. We are continuing our quarterly grantmaking; however, we have extended the application deadline to June 1 in order to give our nonprofit organizations some extra time to respond to the impact of COVID-19.